If you don’t want to get lost on a business trip in a foreign country and if you don’t want to send your company business partners into the wrong direction when they start their city (BE)/downtown (AE) tour, you have to know how to express distances and directions.
All these descriptions of locations and ways require prepositions which you as a foreign language speaker unfortunately have to learn by heart if you want to avoid mistakes.
We collected the most important words for you so you can survive in the United Kingdom and in the United States of America and advise business guests from these states in your home town.
To make this field of expertise more Challenging for you we will start with a test and offer the list in the April issue.
Now let us see what you can make out of this: Test your knowledge.
Exercise: Fill in the correct prepositons
- The copy shop is situated ::_ (jenseits von) the central station.
- You find the computer :__ (entlang) the hall …… (auf) the right hand side.
- The boat trip starts :___ (unter) the central bridge.
- The zoo is situated :_ (außerhalb von) Duisburg.
- The tourist information is situated right :___ (gegenüber) the bus stop.
- This is Ms (BE)/Ms. (AE) Ruder. She will lead you :_ (hinaus aus) our company building.
A field-mouse was lost in a wood, unable to find his way out.
He came upon a wise old owl sitting in a tree.
„Please help me, wise old owl, how can I get out of this wood?“ said the fieldmouse.
„Easy,“ said the owl, „Grow wings and fly out, as I do.“
„But how can I grow wings?“ asked the mouse.
The owl looked at him haughtily, sniffed disdainfully.
Then she said, „Don‘t bother me with the details, I only advise on strategy.”